Sunday, May 5, 2019

Tell Your Story


I wrote this blog post originally in another blog, but I've added to it and edited it some. It seemed it needed to be posted again, especially in light of a few things on my heart and mind. As I am preparing for an upcoming workshop, I've felt strongly that we need to speak more in redemptive ways. Yes, we need to tell our stories, but not just our stories. Our stories must reflect and amplify His Story to the world that needs Jesus so much. 

I've been thinking a lot about resilience. When I think of all those who've lost everything to hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, or earthquakes, I realize they grieve, and they go on.
When I think of those who lost loved ones in a shooting or an act of terror or even from illness or accident, they grieve, and they go on.

And with all the talk of the "me too" campaign, I realize they too have gone on.

I don't say "moved on" because that would insinuate that they ignore what happened and aren't affected by it. No, we are forever changed by these events in our lives. We really never get over the loved one who died or the baby we lost. We still carry scares from the attacks, storms, and unwelcome advances. Like footprints in our hearts and minds, they are there. Shadows that follow us unnoticed on most days, but there nonetheless.

I am saddened by all that has happened lately. But more than that, I am amazed! I am encouraged by the strength, determination, and perseverance of the human race.

I love what Zora Neale Hurston says in her essay "How It Feels to Be Colored Me," "I am not tragically colored. There is no great sorrow dammed up in my soul, nor lurking behind my eyes. I do not mind at all...I do not weep at the world--I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife."

I love that. It isn't that she didn't suffer prejudice and discrimination; it's that she didn't let it rule her life. She looked to the future and saw the world as her oyster. That's what we do. We are not victims but overcomers. We are not beaten down, we have risen. We aren't bitter, we are forgivers.

Victims suffer in silence and are imprisoned by their fear and pain. Overcomers find freedom, victory, and life even in the worst of circumstances. They live over their circumstances and in spite of them, not under them.

I saw a video of a man who had lost everything because of his faith. He was a refugee in his own country. I was amazed. All he had was love and concern for those who took everything. He was content. He was joyful. He was victorious. That's what forgiveness does for the forgiver. It frees us. It fills us with God's love for those who are unjust and hate-filled.

Forgiveness does not say that what they did was right. I believe some have come to this false notion because of how we approach others and God when we need forgiven.
C.S. Lewis wrote a great essay about forgiveness, but he was dealing with when we confess our sins to God. If we go making excuses for our sins, we are not truly asking for forgiveness. Maybe that's why we have so much trouble forgiving others. We've misunderstood what forgiveness really is. It is always undeserved. It is always unearned. There is never an excuse for our behavior. And there is no one to blame but ourselves. If we come to God or others asking forgiveness, it is because we have no excuse for our actions or decisions. If we have a good excuse, then it is a mistake that makes sense and can be overlooked. But forgiveness covers what has no excuse.

Yes, I know I just chased a rabbit there...back to the resilience of the human heart. I have seen those who suffer from PTSD, and they continue to find ways to thrive. The human heart is somehow capable of carrying a tremendous amount of pain and still walk in joy. It is a mystery to me how that is even possible, but God made us this way. He warned us life would be cruel to us and that we'd have many sorrows. But He made a way for us to find joy through it all.

I have to go to a couple other Zora Neale Hurston quotes: "There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." and "If you are silent about your pain they'll kill you and say you enjoyed it."

We need to tell our stories. There is healing in the telling and in the hearing. Your story can help bring healing and hope to others. In the early stages of healing when we are still processing the fear and pain, our story helps us walk through our situation. As we begin to find healing and wholeness and joy, our story helps others have hope. We should tell our stories a thousand times, because each time we've gone through different steps and stages and have more to tell. Life is never stagnant but always moving, always changing and growing. We should too.

If you feel like you are stuck and stagnant, can I encourage you to tell your story? Find someone you can trust who can listen and truly hear your story. The healing waters will begin to flow, even if only a small trickle at the beginning.

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (Psalms 147:3, NKJV)

I watched the sweetest video today and thought you might enjoy it as well. This song and these children's outlook show a little of the resilience I'm meaning here. God is so good, and we are fearfully and wonderfully made!

***As part of my mission, I want to share books with you that you can share with the children in your life. We are the first disciplers in their lives. We need to be passionate about reaching and teaching them. I found a few books about resilience and courage, but as I looked, I could not get the story of Joseph out of my mind. So, this time, I wrote an interactive story for you to enjoy with your child. I hope you enjoy it.

Sign up for my mailing list, and you can download the story for free.
If you are already on my mailing list, please email contact@terriehellardbrown.com and I will send you the link to the story.***

No comments:

Post a Comment